Re: Solaris 9 tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Arthurs
Subject Re: Solaris 9 tuning
Date
List pgsql-performance
Yes, I agree it's unnecessary -- but you'll never have to worry about the postmaster not starting due to lack of
allocatable
memory -- when I was testing setups, I got sick of rebooting everytime I had to make a change to /etc/system, that I
threwup my
hands and said, "let it take all it wants".  :)

"single user read only" -- the key is how many connections -- what's your application?  Is this being driven by a front
endapplication?

In my case, we run a website with an apache fronted, a tomcat server as middleware, and 4 applications.  We may, at
times,have only 1
user on, but the java code could be doing a half dozen queries in different threads for that one user.

run /usr/ucb/ps -auxww | grep <postgres user name>  (-- we use postgres so "grep post" works for us) while under load
andsee
how many backends are running.  if it's more than 4 or 5, then you are using the cpu's.

On the topic of shared memory, watch for the ouput of top or prstat -a -- these programs count the shared memory block
towardseach process
and therefor lie about amount of memory used.  Looking at vmstat, etc show that the percentage of utilization reported
bytop or prstat is
way off, and if you care to examine the memory for each proces, you'll see that the shared memory block address is,
well,shared by each
process (by definition, eh?) but it can be reported as if it were a different block for each process.

Not sure the e3500 is the best box for a data warehouse application