Re: "ERROR: operator is not unique" with Custom Data Type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: "ERROR: operator is not unique" with Custom Data Type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jun 5, 2008, at 14:07, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

>> I'm sure I'm missing something simple here. How do I make it
>> assignment?
>
> # \h create cast
> Command:     CREATE CAST
> Syntax:
> <snip>
> CREATE CAST (sourcetype AS targettype)
>    WITHOUT FUNCTION
>    [ AS ASSIGNMENT | AS IMPLICIT ]

I need to read up on the CAST documentation. Thanks.

>> Huh. That's what citext has, too:
>>
>> CREATE CAST (citext AS text) WITHOUT FUNCTION AS IMPLICIT;
>> CREATE CAST (text AS citext) WITHOUT FUNCTION AS IMPLICIT;
>
> And citext probably doesn't work with 8.3? The casting rules wrt text
> have changed...

Yes, that is correct. It builds, but the SQL doesn't all run properly.
I'll be wading through all those failures once I get the basics worked
out with v2.

Thanks,

David