Re: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 8.0 Beta3 worked, RC1 didn't!
Date
List pgsql-general
Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org> writes:
> Was there a change affecting client certificate handling a couple
> of months ago?

Yes, but it was pre-beta3.

However, this being on Windows ... I don't think the SSL code was
enabled at all in the Windows port as of beta3.  I find this post-beta3
CVS log entry:

    * configure, configure.in, src/backend/libpq/be-secure.c,
    src/backend/port/win32/socket.c,
    src/backend/postmaster/postmaster.c, src/include/pg_config.h.in,
    src/include/port/win32.h: Here is a patch to fix win32 ssl builds.
    Summary of changes:

    * Links with -leay32 and -lssleay32 instead of crypto and ssl. On
    win32, "crypto and ssl" is only used for static linking.

    * Initializes SSL in the backend and not just in the postmaster. We
    cannot pass the SSL context from the postmaster through the
    parameter file, because it contains function pointers.

    * Split one error check in be-secure.c. Previously we could not
    tell which of three calls actually failed. The previous code also
    returned incorrect error messages if SSL_accept() failed - that
    function needs to use SSL_get_error() on the return value, can't
    just use the error queue.

    * Since the win32 implementation uses non-blocking sockets "behind
    the scenes" in order to deliver signals correctly, implements a
    version of SSL_accept() that can handle this. Also, add a wait
    function in case SSL_read or SSL_write() needs more data.

    Magnus Hagander

It seems likely to me that the Windows SSL code may still be a brick or
two shy of a load ...

            regards, tom lane