Re: Upgrading 9.1.17 to which version? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: Upgrading 9.1.17 to which version?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/16/19 4:36 AM, nigel.andersen@gmx.com wrote:
Hi,

I've just inherited an ancient install of 9.1.17 after our tech guy left, on what turns out to be a rapidly dying server and being a total newb to PostgreSQL (and not much more advanced on Linux) I'm a little stuck on the way ahead.

I've managed to secure a decent new server for a new install of PostgreSQL which runs CentOS 7.6 (Minimal). CentOS 7.6's standard PostgreSQL package seems to be 9.2.24 which is obviously no longer supported so probably doesn't get us much further ahead in the short term. As part of this upgrade we'd also like to implement support for pg_trgm which apparently needs >=9.6.

I spent most of yesterday trying to get 9.6.13 installed from the PostgreSQL Yum repository and finally got it working with the initdb stuff stored on a non-default dedicated partition (RAID10 array) only to find that psql didn't work and was complaining about a missing libpq.so.5. Not sure if that's a common problem?

What packages did you install?

My (admittedly loose) logic tells me that upgrading from 9.1.x to 9.6.x is probably a safer option than making the leap up to 10.x or 11.x

No, not really.

but I wonder whether that might be an easier/more reliable option from an install and point of view and certainly preferable in the long term. Any advice on where to go?

11.x would be best, since it's EOL is furthest in the future.
9.6 would be best, because it's had more bug-fix releases.

:)