Re: Built-in CTYPE provider - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: Built-in CTYPE provider
Date
List pgsql-hackers
    Noah Misch wrote:

> > I don't think the builtin locale provider is any different in this respect
> > from the other providers:  The locale data might change and there is a
> > version mechanism to track that.  We don't prevent pg_upgrade in scenarios
> > like that for other providers.
>
> Each packager can choose their dependencies so the v16 providers don't have
> the problem.  With the $SUBJECT provider, a packager won't have that option.

The Unicode data files downloaded into src/common/unicode/
depend on the versions defined in Makefile.global.in:

  # Unicode data information

  # Before each major release, update these and run make update-unicode.

  # Pick a release from here: <https://www.unicode.org/Public/>.  Note
  # that the most recent release listed there is often a pre-release;
  # don't pick that one, except for testing.
  UNICODE_VERSION = 15.1.0

  # Pick a release from here: <http://cldr.unicode.org/index/downloads>
  CLDR_VERSION = 45

(CLDR_VERSION is apparently not used yet).

When these versions get bumped, it seems like packagers could stick to
previous versions by just overriding these.
When doing that, are there any function that may have an immutability
breakage problem with the built-in locale provider? (I would expect none).

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
https://postgresql.verite.pro/