Re: Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all
Date
Re: Allow GRANT/REVOKE permissions to be applied to all schema  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:

> And overall, I'd think it would make the feature a *lot* less useful;
> basically it would encourage a lot of DBAs to organize their schemas by
> security level, which is not really what schemas are for.
>

>>This does seem conceptually cleaner than GRANT ON NEW TABLES, which to
>>me has a flavor of action-at-a-distance about it.  Does anyone see any
>>cases where it's really important to have the distinction between acting
>>on existing tables and acting on future tables?
>

> Databases which are already in production.  I suggested it, of course, because
> I would utilize the distinction if it was available.   I don't know about
> other users.

Do we perhaps want a pg_find tool instead, rather than getting too
clever inside the backend?

pg_find --type=table --schema=foo --name='system_*' --execute='GRANT ALL  ON % TO myuser'

--  Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd