Re: FreeBSD 5.2.1, postgresql 7.4.5 and shared memory settings - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sven Willenberger
Subject Re: FreeBSD 5.2.1, postgresql 7.4.5 and shared memory settings
Date
List pgsql-general

Rick Apichairuk wrote:
> I tried the settings you gave and they worked (with some caveats).
>
> After I recompiled the FreeBSD kernel with the options:
>
> options         SYSVSHM
> options         SYSVMSG
> options         SYSVSEM
>
> options         SHMMAXPGS=131072
> options         SEMMNI=128
> options         SEMMNS=512
> options         SEMUME=100
> options         SEMMNU=256
>
> I rebooted and attempted to start postgresql and it failed again. I
> then ran sysctl -a to verify that the settings were correct. They were
> not. Regardless of what's configured in the kernel conf file, the
> default values were loaded.

I assume you added these variables to either the GENERIC or a custom
kernel in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf. If you created a custom kernel called
CUSTOM, then you would:

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM
make installkernel KERNCONF=CUSTOM

Just wanted to verify that you built and installed the kernel using the
config file that has the settings you listed above (your sysctl output
would indicate otherwise).

Sven