Re: how come I get this error message when I try to connect - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: how come I get this error message when I try to connect
Date
List pgsql-general
Danny Lu wrote:
> Hello all,
>   I am running Postgresql 8.0.0 on Windows 98. When I try to connect to
> the database with
> psql.exe using "psql.exe -h localhost -p 5432 template1 postgres" I get
> an error message like this:
>
> PSQL: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)
>        Is the server running on host "localhost" and accepting
>        TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

I'm not sure PG is supposed to work on Windows 98, so take care.

Having said that, there are three things to check:
1. Is the backend process running?
2. Does the logfile say anything interesting (connection failed etc)?
3. If you open a console, "telnet localhost:5432" type "A" and hit
return a couple of times do you get an error message back?

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd