Re: EMBEDDED PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Garamond
Subject Re: EMBEDDED PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
John DeSoi wrote:
> But on Windows 8.0 you can't run the postmaster with an administrative
> account, correct? I really wish this was configurable in the PostgreSQL
> settings (of course, defaulting to the way it is now).

I think there have been several threads debating this issue in the past
(on whether Postgres should allow running as root if the user wants to).
And in Windows case it can also be argued that Windows XP is a "single
user" OS.

But then again running as root/Administrator is a _really bad_ idea, so
bad that I'm glad there are software like Apache or Postgres which
proactively discourage this practice by flat-out refusing to run as
root/Administrator.

In Windows, if the installing user is an administrator, I don't think
it's that hard to add several lines of code in your app's installer to
create a normal user for Postgres to run as.

--
dave