Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Marty Scholes
Subject Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Date
Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
List pgsql-performance
This is probably a lot easier than you would think.  You say that your
DB will have lots of data, lots of updates and lots of reads.

Very likely the disk bottleneck is mostly index reads and writes, with
some critical WAL fsync() calls.  In the grand scheme of things, the
actual data is likely not accessed very often.

The indexes can be put on a RAM disk tablespace and that's the end of
index problems -- just make sure you have enough memory available.  Also
make sure that the machine can restart correctly after a crash: the
tablespace is dropped and recreated, along with the indexes.  This will
cause a machine restart to take some time.

After that, if the WAL fsync() calls are becoming a problem, put the WAL
files on a fast RAID array, etiher a card or external enclosure, that
has a good amount of battery-backed write cache.  This way, the WAL
fsync() calls will flush quickly to the RAM and Pg can move on while the
RAID controller worries about putting the data to disk.  With WAL, low
access time is usually more important than total throughput.

The truth is that you could have this running for not much money.

Good Luck,
Marty