Re: Best Linux Distribution - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Best Linux Distribution
Date
List pgsql-general
David Garamond wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> Well that isnt exactly true. EXT3 is a bolt on to EXT2 which was always
>> there. Reiser is also a long time kernel at least from 2.2.
>

> I remember first using reiser3 by patching early 2.4 kernels. IIRC,
> reiser was not in linus tree until 2.4.7 or so (not sure which
> release) and it went in after a great debate/controversy.
>
> So I don't think reiser is available in 2.2.

O.k. did some research and it appears that Reiser may have been
available as of 2.4.1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS

Which was still along time ago :) and considering how borked the Linus
tree was in 2.4 until about 2.4.18 which was
18 months after release... I think still matches my not always a
technical reason comment in this thread ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake