Re: Infinite recursion detected... How do I prevent that? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: Infinite recursion detected... How do I prevent that?
Date
List pgsql-general
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Sorry, RULEs are like macros, they essentially expand and transform
> your original query. This also means the expansion does not depend on
> the data in your database. So postgresql continaually expands the
> query, leading to your infinite recursion error.

I just found out. makes sense...

> Why do you want a RULE anyway, trigger are much easier to understand.
> It may be possile to setup some RULEs to avoid recursion but it won't
> be easy...

Well, actually the easiest way to do this turns out to be defining my
foreign key constraint with "on delete cascade". That does exactly what
I intend to do, and at the right time too :)

Alban.