Re: Index optimization ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bo Lorentsen
Subject Re: Index optimization ?
Date
List pgsql-general
Florian G. Pflug wrote:

> Because the _whole_ _point_ of an index is to find matching rows
> _without_ scanning the whole table. IF you have to look at every row
> anyway, then just might as well to an sequential scan.

I am sorry it took me this long to understand this, but I think I got it
now thanks to all Your (all in this thread) efforts to make me :-)

What confuses me was the difference between what controls a query and
what filters a row in a selected data set, I just could not see the
difference, but that have changed :-) I think the problem was I just
could not see the general principles from the special case where I
thought I had the use for this index lookup.

Thanks to anyone for there effort to make me understand, hope I will be
a faster learner next time :-)

/BL