Re: cron & backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Allen
Subject Re: cron & backup
Date
List pgsql-general
I had a problem in the past with the vaccumdb command on 7.2.3
mysteriously never returning when run from cron on FreeBSD, but it ran
fine from cmdline. Had to be an environmental issue. Not having time to
track it down, I tried an alternative lazy method...

/usr/local/bin/vacuumdb -z -f dbname   <-- sometimes never returned

/usr/local/bin/psql -c "vacuum full analyze;" dbname <-- worked

Though I would really prefer to know *what* the problem was so it
wouldn't happen elsewhere. For me the path was specified, but since the
job never terminated, I received no email. If you find the reason, post it!

Good luck!
Allen