Re: Increasing RAM for more than 4 Gb. using postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Increasing RAM for more than 4 Gb. using postgresql
Date
List pgsql-performance
amrit@health2.moph.go.th wrote:

> Does the PAE help linux in handling the memory of more than 4 Gb limit in 32 bit
> archetech ? My intel server board could handle the mem of 12 Gb [according to
> intel spec.] and if I use Fedora C2 with PAE , will it useless for mem of more
> than >4Gb.?
>
> Any comment please?

I understand that the 2.6.* kernels are much better at large memory
support (with respect to performance issues), so unless you have a
64-bit machine lying around - this is probably worth a try.

You may need to build a new kernel with the various parameters :

CONFIG_NOHIGHMEM
CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G
CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G

set appropriately (or even upgrade to the latest 2.6.10). I would expect
that some research and experimentation will be required to get the best
out of it - (e.g. the 'bounce buffers' issue).

regards

Mark