Re: Much Ado About COUNT(*) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: Much Ado About COUNT(*)
Date
Re: Much Ado About COUNT(*)  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

Thank you for your prompt response and I understand your statement
completely.

My thinking is that we may be able to implement index usage for not only
unqualified counts, but also on any query that can be satisfied by the
index itself. Index usage seems to be a feature that could speed up
PostgreSQL for many people. I'm working on a project right now that
could actually take advantage of it.

Looking at the message boards, there is significant interest in the
COUNT(*) aspect. However, rather than solely address the COUNT(*) TODO
item, why not fix it and add additional functionality found in
commercial databases as well? I believe Oracle has had this feature
since 7.3 and I know people take advantage of it.

I understand that you guys have a lot more important stuff to do than
work on something like this. Unlike other people posting the request and
whining about the speed, I'm offering to take it on and fix it.

Take this mesage as my willingness to propose and implement this
feature. Any details, pitfalls, or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks again!

-Jonah