Re: MySQL 5 comparison - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Subject Re: MySQL 5 comparison
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Ned,
>

>>That reminds me of another, related question ... can anyone comment on the
>>relationship between MySQL 5 and MaxDB (formerly SAP DB)?  The talk at one
>>point was that the end result of that alliance would be a total rewrite of
>>MySQL to incorporate concepts from MaxDB, and that the new product would
>>somehow be backward compatible with both predecessors.
>

> That was the idea, yes.    Personally, I don't think it's possible; that's
> probably the reason why MySQL 5.0 is two years late.    I think eventually
> MySQL AB will have to come to terms with the idea that they have two seperate
> products, MySQL and MaxDB, and the two can't be made compatible.

Absolutely. I personally still hope that adopting MAX DB is their
biggest fault.
Please take some time and look at the MAX DB sources - it is the most
ugly thing I have ever seen in my live.

    Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria