Re: DBMS_File Equivalent? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: DBMS_File Equivalent?
Date
List pgsql-general
Dunc wrote:
> Can a trigger, written in plperl, write to the OS when it fires?  I want
> to write a trigger, in plperl, that builds an RSS feed file with each
> row that gets added to one of my tables.  My database (8 rc 3, on Redhat
> 9) seems to choke (terminated on signal 11) each time I try to write to
> the OS - I would imagine because it's a major security threat to have
> the DB blindly writing to the filesystem.  I guess what I really need is
> something like dbms_file in Oracle, where one predefines where the DB is
> allowed to read and write files.  Can this be done with Postgres?

You can do it with plperlu but not plperl. The procedure will be fired
as your postgresql user (the owner of the actual catalog) so you want to
make sure that where the procedure is trying to write can be accessed by
that user.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Dunc

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Attachment