Joined delete - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Madison Kelly
Subject Joined delete
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi all,

   After all the great help I got from you all I managed to finish what
I was struggling with. The last thing I need to do should be pretty
simple. :)

   I use this query to return values from one table that don't exits in
another table:

SELECT a.fs_name, a.fs_parent_dir, a.fs_type FROM file_set_1 a LEFT JOIN
file_info_1 b ON a.fs_name=b.file_name AND
a.fs_parent_dir=b.file_parent_dir AND a.fs_type=b.file_type WHERE
b.file_name IS NULL;

   Which works perfectly. What I need to do though is instead of
returning those value, I need to instead delete the matches. I tried:

DELETE FROM file_set_1 a LEFT JOIN file_info_1 b ON
a.fs_name=b.file_name AND a.fs_parent_dir=b.file_parent_dir AND
a.fs_type=b.file_type WHERE b.file_name IS NULL;

   But I am getting the syntax error:

ERROR:  syntax error at or near "a" at character 24

   This is probably obious... ^.^;

Thank you again!

Madison