Re: postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wampler
Subject Re: postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-general
John Cunningham wrote:
> The machine in question will do nothing but serve databases.  It's a
> dual 3.2Ghz Xeon with 100GB or 15K RPM RAID 5 and 8 GB of RAM.  I'd
> like to configure it to get the most out of the server possible as far
> as shared memory, sort memore, etc.  I haven't found a lot of
> documentation on this.

What OS?

> By the way, for some reason Postgres 7.4.x wouldn't install properly -
> had a problem with initdb - had to use 7.3.6

I had a similar problem under Fedora Core 3 that Tom Lane solved quickly
for me.  From my notes:

    Run '/usr/sbin/setenforce 0' before intializing database.
    Ok to turn back on with '/usr/sbin/setenforce 1' afterwards.

Has to do with the Fedora using SELinux by default now.

Dunno if that is your situation...

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler@noao.edu