Re: New Fedora 3 install gives: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Wampler
Subject Re: New Fedora 3 install gives: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user"
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Wampler wrote:

> I don't see any errors when starting with
> "service postgresql start" - and if I empty out
> /var/lib/pgsql, the command initializes the database
> with no errors.

To add a bit more information, and correct the above.
I wasn't seeing any errors because PGLOG was set
to /dev/null in /etc/init.d/postgresql.  Changing
that to /var/lib/pgsql, clearing out /var/lib/pgsql,
and restarting gives:

bash-3.00$ cat /var/log/pgsql
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale en_US.

fixing permissions on existing directory /var/lib/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
selecting default max_connections... 100
selecting default shared_buffers... 1000
creating configuration files... ok
creating template1 database in /var/lib/pgsql/data/base/1... ok
initializing pg_shadow... ok
enabling unlimited row size for system tables... ok
initializing pg_depend... ok
creating system views... ok
creating conversions... ok
setting privileges on built-in objects... ok
creating information schema...
initdb: failed
bash-3.00$

So, initdb isn't completing.  Which explains the
error, but doesn't give me enough to figure out a
fix.  Ideas?

Thanks!
Steve
--