Re: production server down - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: production server down
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:
> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>>I've always felt that running a database across NFS was a Bad Idea ;-)
>
> Well not that I disagree with that sentiment, but NFS was specifically
> designed to handle this particular scenario. *UNLESS* you use the "soft"
> option. As popular as it is, this is precisely the scenario where it causes
> problems.
>
> (The "intr" option as well, but I don't think that would be relevant for
> postgres).

I checked; doesn't seem to be an issue:

# cat /etc/fstab
csddata7-vlan35:/vol/vol0/replica /replica             nfs
proto=tcp,suid,rw,vers=3,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,hard,fg,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
0 0

I'd be interested in any feedback on the settings. The connection
between server and NetApp is on a private vlan on a separate network
interface than the rest of the LAN. I'm not positive, but I think we
have jumbo frames (9K) enabled on that interface ... looks like we do:

# ifconfig eth0
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:09:6B:E6:33:B7          [...]          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST
MTU:9000 Metric:1

Thanks,

Joe