Re: regression script/makefile exit failure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: regression script/makefile exit failure
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>Further investigation has shown that the exit/trap idiom used in
>>pg_regress.sh is less than 100% portable.
>>
>>The following shell script has been seen to produce incorrect output
>>on both Cygwin and FreeBSD:
>>

>>#!/bin/sh
>>
>>trap '
>>  st=$?
>>  echo status = $st
>>  exit $st
>>' 0
>>
>>(exit 9); exit
>>

>I seem to recall that there is a bug in the FreeBSD shell with line
>breaks in traps.  Try changing the above to
>
>trap 'st=$?; echo status = $st; exit $st' 0

Thankyou Peter! I'd never have guessed something so obscure!

I have confirmed that this is the problem, and ascertained that the
Cygwin shell exhibits the same behaviour.

I will submit a patch for pg_regress.sh shortly (after a little testing
using buildfarm).

cheers

andrew