Re: Auditing with shared username - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric E
Subject Re: Auditing with shared username
Date
List pgsql-general
Well, upon further reflection, I came to this conclusion:
In order to do trigger-based auditing that logs a homegrown user, you
need to hand the database some token or identifier for the user that it
can use to record the user into the audit log.  That part is pretty
straightforward: if you're not using the db's login system, the db can't
know which user this is unless you tell it.

The only relatively secure and general way I can see to do this is to
have each table exposed by a view that adds an updating-username field
to the basic fields, and then uses a rule to hand that username off to
the auditing function.

Any thoughts?  Did anyone do this differently?  If so, how?

Thanks,

Eric