Re: prepared statement call fails - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: prepared statement call fails
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> The JDBC driver must do some trick then, and make an attempt to convert
> what you wrote into what I suggested. With some risk of getting flogged,
> I must admin that I disagree with that implementation since the
> interface doc's for JDBC mandates that the CallableStatement is for
> Stored Procedures only.

Please explain the difference between a PostgreSQL value-returning
function and a stored procedure that returns a value and takes no OUT
parameters.

The {? = call ...} syntax is standard. I don't see any reason not to map
it to PostgreSQL functions for the cases that make sense.

> Patching it so that it can call functions will cause future problems once the backend really do implement stored
procedurescorrectly.

If the server makes changes that are not backwards-compatible, of course
old drivers are going to break. But a) those sort of changes are rare
and b) the same argument holds true for *everything* in the driver.

I believe the current work on SPs is via a new SQL command (PERFORM?),
so I really can't see how this would cause future problems.

-O