Re: 3rd RFD: comp.databases.postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: 3rd RFD: comp.databases.postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general

>>>If that's the case, there should be a weekly/monthly reminder posting
>>>on the comp.* side set up, pointing out that these are not official
>>>groups and that real PostgreSQL questions are better asked somewhere
>>>else, if the intention is to reach real developers and get real help.
>>>I don't want to see people wasting a lot of time or getting confused
>>>because they found the wrong newsgroups first.
>

> Why would the comp.* group be the *wrong* group? Just an additional
> resource.

Because it is not the officially sanctioned news group for PostgreSQL.
The pgsql.* groups are.

  The proponent said that he would post weekly pointers about the
> pgsql.* hierarchy to the comp.* group, but expecting him to post something
> negative about the comp.* group is asking too much of him.

> You are insulting non-developer advanced pgsql.* users that would be using
> the comp.* group by inferring that only the developers are capable of
> answering questions. Do the Oracle developers, or MSsql developers
> participate in the respective comp.* groups for their products? Most
> probably not. Are those newsgroups extremely useful resources for users of
> those products? Very much so.

I think you are reading much more into this that needs to be. All that
is being said, is that the primary members of the community hang out in
pgsql.* . Thus, that is where you are going to find the quickest
solution to your problem. Which would be true as the primary members of
the community use the mailing list as their primary communication means.

>>That could easily be botted :)
>

> I am not sure if the charter would allow for bot postings. Mike Cox should
> decide in advance if that should be written into the charter or not.

O.k. then an automated post from a person ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of PostgreSQL Replication, and plPHP.

Attachment