Re: Error handling in plperl and pltcl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Error handling in plperl and pltcl
Date
Re: Error handling in plperl and pltcl
List pgsql-hackers
On 12/1/2004 4:27 AM, Richard Huxton wrote:

> Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>> Richard Huxton wrote:
>>
>>> Can I make some counter-proposals?
>>>
>>> 1. Wrap each function body/call (same thing here afaict) in a
>>> sub-transaction. An exception can be caught within that function, and
>>> all the spi in that function is then rolled back. This is rubbish, but
>>> at least it's predictable and allows you to write to a log table and
>>> throw another exception.
>>

>> This will be even worse since it will impose the subtransaction overhead
>> on everything, even functions that never do any database access. Perhaps
>> this approach would be feasible if imposed on volatile functions only,
>> but then again, the volatility of a function cannot be trusted since we
>> have no way of defining a "stable but with side effects" type.
>
> Actually, I was thinking of setting a flag and then on the first SPI
> call start the subtrans.
>
>>> 2. For pl/tcl introduce a pgtry { } catch { } which just starts a
>>> sub-transaction and does standard try/catch. I don't use TCL, but from
>>> the little I know this should be straightforward.
>>

>> If you know how to use special constructs like this, what's wrong with
>> actually using savepoints verbatim? I.e.
>>
>> INSERT 1
>> INSERT 2
>> SAVEPOINT foo
>> try {
>>  INSERT 3
>>  INSERT 4
>>  RELEASE foo
>> }
>> catch WHATEVER {
>>  ROLLBACK TO foo
>>  INSERT 5
>>  INSERT 6
>> }
>>
>> IMHO a very clean, sensible, and easily understood approach that doesn't
>> clobber the language.
>
> But is the problem not that forgetting to use SAVEPOINT can get us in
> trouble with clearing up after an exception? That's the main thrust of
> Tom's per-statement stuff AFAICT. And again, you're not going to see the
> problem until an exception is thrown.

I think the following would a) be a drop in replacement without any side
effects or performance impact for PL/Tcl functions not using "catch" and
b) give "catch" a sensible and correct behaviour.

One can _replace_ the Tcl catch command with his own C function. This
can be done during the interpreter initialization when loading the
PL/Tcl module. The new catch would
    push a status NEED_SUBTRANS onto a stack    call Tcl_Eval() for the first command argument    if TCL_ERROR {
popstatus from stack        if popped status == HAVE_SUBTRANS {            rollback subtransaction        }        if a
secondargument exists {            store interpreter result in variable        }        return TCL_ERROR    }    pop
statusfrom stack    if popped status == HAVE_SUBTRANS {        commit subtransaction    }

    return result code from Tcl_Eval()

The spi functions check if the top stack entry (if there is one) is
NEED_SUBTRANS. If so, they start a subtrans and change the status to
HAVE_SUBTRANS.

This all would mean that however deeply nested a function call tree, it
would unwind and rollback everything up to the outermost catch. If there
is no catch used, no subtransactions are created and the unwinding goes
all the way up to the statement. If catch is used but no spi access
performed inside, no subtransaction overhead either.

Jan