Re: "PoastgreSQL/SQLite Anywhere"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johan Wehtje
Subject Re: "PoastgreSQL/SQLite Anywhere"?
Date
List pgsql-general
I am glad to hear that someone else is thinking along these lines , I am
working on a project that uses PDA's with Differential GPS as field
survey units, and I would like to be able to do more than simply dump
the collected data and then append it to a Postgresql DB at home base,
as we are looking at updating records with resurveyed data.

last I looked SQL Lite had a very relaxed approach to data typing, with
the onus being on the Application developer to ensure the integrity of
semi typeless fields, which for the intended usage as an embedded
database that supports SQL is not a bad idea.

This would lead me to suppose that a replication routine would mostly
involve dumping a modified schema into SQL lite from Postgres, and that
some mechanism that combines Primary key + OID might be used as the
replication handle for record merge situations.

One big advantage is that both licenses are similar , so from that point
of view the combination is a no-brainer.
Johan Wehtje