Re: -V, --version -- deprecated? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: -V, --version -- deprecated?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> --help and --version are the standard options that are supported
> everywhere.  In the era before we had long options everywhere, we
> implemented -V as an alternative in some programs, in particular those
> in and around initdb, because of the version cross-checking it does
> using those options.

Ok, good to know. FWIW "-V" is almost universal among the client
binaries (not just those "in and around initdb").

> At one point, long options where broken on some BSD versions.  I don't
> know what became of that, but if we don't have new information it might
> be safest to leave things where they are.

Can anyone confirm this? (If this actually affects any modern platforms
it means that "--help" doesn't work at the very least, which seems a Bad
Thing. So I'm a little skeptical that this is still a problem.)

> Hence, the -V option is not the preferred public interface, so it's not
> prominently documented, which may or may not be reasonable in minds
> other than my own.

Fair enough, but I think it's inconsistent to document it in some places
but not in others. I think we ought to either declare "-V" deprecated
(and perhaps remove the docs for it), or accept that we need to live
with it because of long-options silliness and document "-V" as a valid
alternate.

-Neil