Re: transactions in functions, possible bug or what I'm doing - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: transactions in functions, possible bug or what I'm doing
Date
List pgsql-sql
Riccardo G. Facchini wrote:

> Why does select test_without_transaction();
> return this info:
> "ABCD" (as should be)
>
> and select test_with_transaction();
> returns this error?
>
> ERROR:  SPI_prepare() failed on "start transaction"
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "test_with_transaction" line 6 at SQL
> statement
>
> I've been investigating the matter in the doc I have, but to no avail.
> google was not helpful either.

The function-call is already within a transaction (every command is),
and you can't have nested transactions in 7.4.

You can have what are called "savepoints" in version 8.0 though, which
lets you trap errors and rollback to a named (saved) point in your function.

--   Richard Huxton  Archonet Ltd