Re: are there any cons to linking libstdc++ with postgresql? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Reini Urban
Subject Re: are there any cons to linking libstdc++ with postgresql?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Palle Girgensohn schrieb:
> I'm not a linking guru... Is there a penalty for setting LDFLAGS+=
> -lstdc++ when building postgresql?
>
>> Postgis includes a bunch of useful functions for manipulating spatial
>> data. Some of them are provided by geos, a separate c++ library, with
>> postgis providing wrappers.
>>
>> According to postgis docs, postgresql _must_ be configured with LDFLAGS
>> containing -lstdc++ for this to work. I can confirm this.
>>
>> The postgis port provides the WITH_GEOS tunable, but it has no effect
>> unless the above adjustment is made to postgresql. The port makes no
>> mention of this. Is there a penalty in just leaving
>>  LDFLAGS+= -lstdc++
>> in the postgresql port Makefile? Bad idea? What do you think?

I'd rather use a libgeos wrapper using just extern "C" entry points,
not the C++ mangled entries.

Haven't checked yet how much trouble this may cause on geos, and if it
will work with the exceptions. And if a simple .def with aliases would
be enough. libgeos is huge.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/