Re: OID's - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: OID's
Date
List pgsql-general
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> There are certainly ways to handle this.  But no one has seriously proposed
> getting rid of OIDs and presented a plan for fixing all the other holes that
> move would leave.

Right; I certainly have no intention of trying to remove OIDs any time
soon. However, I _will_ be proposing that we set default_with_oids to
false by default in 8.1, per previous discussion on pgsql-hackers. Among
other things, this will mean that CREATE TABLE will not include OIDs by
default: if you want OIDs on a particular table, you can either specify
WITH OIDS explicitly or change the default_with_oids configuration
parameter.

-Neil