Re: [GENERAL] OID Question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Geoffrey
Subject Re: [GENERAL] OID Question
Date
Re: [GENERAL] OID Question  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
List pgsql-novice
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 10:04:30 -0500, Terry Lee Tucker
> <terry@esc1.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Here is a simple question:
>>
>> Is it ok to put a unique index on the oid for my tables? We are in
>> the process
>

> Yes, but you may occasionally have insert failures if the oid wraps
> around and you try to reuse one on an insert.

So this prompts a question regarding the documentation.  I'm assuming
that I can address the wrap-around issue based on the following found
under "Notes" section of the "Create Table" document:

"Whenever an application makes use of OIDs to identify specific rows of
a table, it is recommended to create a unique constraint on the oid
column of that table, to ensure that OIDs in the table will indeed
uniquely identify rows even after counter wraparound."

Am I reading this correctly?  If I place a unique constraint on the oid
column, I will not have to worry about oid wrap around?

--
Until later, Geoffrey