Re: refactoring relation extension and BufferAlloc(), faster COPY - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: refactoring relation extension and BufferAlloc(), faster COPY
Date
Re: refactoring relation extension and BufferAlloc(), faster COPY  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
I'll continue reviewing this, but here's some feedback on the first two
patches:

v2-0001-aio-Add-some-error-checking-around-pinning.patch:

I wonder if the extra assertion in LockBufHdr() is worth the overhead.
It won't add anything without assertions, of course, but still. No
objections if you think it's worth it.

v2-0002-hio-Release-extension-lock-before-initializing-pa.patch:

Looks as far as it goes. It's a bit silly that we use RBM_ZERO_AND_LOCK,
which zeroes the page, and then we call PageInit to zero the page again.
RBM_ZERO_AND_LOCK only zeroes the page if it wasn't in the buffer cache
previously, but with P_NEW, that is always true.

- Heikki