Re: 8.0.0beta4: "copy" and "client_encoding" - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: 8.0.0beta4: "copy" and "client_encoding"
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Barry Lind wrote:
> If you choose to go the URL parameter route, I would suggest you use the
> existing 'compatible' parameter.  This is exactly the type of thing that
> parameter was designed to be used for.  By default the driver does the
> new check.  But with a value of 'compatible=7.4' (or less, i.e. < 8.0)
> the driver would revert back to the old behavior of not doing this
> check.

What's the upgrade path for a "legacy" application that uses COPY, so
that it is a "current" application and no longer needs the compatible=
parameter?

I don't see such a path without an additional COPY API or backend
changes. So I'd prefer not to put this into the "compatible behaviour"
bucket.

-O