Re: Avoiding explicit addDataType calls for PostGIS - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: Avoiding explicit addDataType calls for PostGIS
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Kris Jurka wrote:

>>[use a property file to configure datatypes]
>
> Looking at this patch again, I don't believe the JDBC driver should use
> this extension mechanism to configure itself.  The whole concept is error
> prone with multiple .properties files,

I don't see multiple properties files with overlapping settings being a
common use case for exactly that reason.

> so why should we start things off
> by creating a properties file when we don't need to.

The configuration information is bulky, so cramming it into the URL
doesn't seem ideal.

It's also cleaner from a packaging perspective: you don't need to poke
application-specific internal configuration information into a
user-visible or user-configured URL.

-O