Re: PG equivalent of "mysqlhotcopy"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: PG equivalent of "mysqlhotcopy"?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Le 30 juil. 09 à 15:34, Phoenix Kiula a écrit :
> I know about pg_dumpall, which creates a humongous SQL file, but is
> there something equivalent in the postgresql world, like a
> "pgsqlhotcopy" which copies data folders in a similar way as
> mysqlhotcopy?

Copying the raw data files of a live database only works under certain
conditions with PostgreSQL, in short you have to tell it about what
you're going to do for it to cooperate. That's pg_start_backup()
function and friends.

Now, the generic technique provided by PostgreSQL is called PITR,
Point In Time Recovery. You'll find ready to go software to drive
this, in order of personal preference :

  - walmgr from Skytools
     http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Skytools#walmgr
     http://skytools.projects.postgresql.org/doc/walmgr.html
     https://developer.skype.com/SkypeGarage/DbProjects/SkyTools/WalMgr

  - pitrtools
     http://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pitrtools/

  - pg_standby (read carefully the 8.3 era behavior of this one)
     it's in the contribs

Those 3 solutions are packaged in debian and maybe some other
distributions or OS.

Regards,
--
dim