Re: Restricting Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Martin Foster
Subject Re: Restricting Postgres
Date
Re: Restricting Postgres
List pgsql-performance
Matt Clark wrote:
>>Correct the 75% of all hits are on a script that can take
>>anywhere from
>>a few seconds to a half an hour to complete.    The script
>>essentially
>>auto-flushes to the browser so they get new information as it arrives
>>creating the illusion of on demand generation.
>

> This is more like a streaming data server, which is a very different beast
> from a webserver, and probably better suited to the job.  Usually either
> multithreaded or single-process using select() (just like Squid).  You could
> probably build one pretty easily.  Using a 30MB Apache process to serve one
> client for half an hour seems like a hell of a waste of RAM.

These are CGI scripts at the lowest level, nothing more and nothing
less.  While I could probably embed a small webserver directly into the
perl scripts and run that as a daemon, it would take away the
portability that the scripts currently offer.

This should be my last question on the matter, does squid report the
proper IP address of the client themselves?    That's a critical
requirement for the scripts.

    Martin Foster
    Creator/Designer Ethereal Realms
    martin@ethereal-realms.org