From Alexey Borzov
Subject Re: Inadequate hosting for www.postgresql.org?
Date
List pgsql-www
Hi,

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> 'k, I just looked at your mirror.php script .. and realized that its not
> the main web site thats the problem, its your new site ... why is your
> site so much slower to load up with lynx then the site that is there
> now? http://www.postgresql.org comes up instantly,
> http://www.alexey.beta.postgresql.org/index.html.en takes forever to
> load ... why?

That's easy: www.postgresql.org is static HTML, alexey.beta is dynamic.

I added profiling information to the pages (look at the bottom, only the index
page has a full set of "markers") and the results are the following: ~80% of the
page generation time (which is 3+ seconds!) is spent loading local files and
parsing and executing PHP code. Database access is actually *very fast*. DB
connection is slow, but that takes only ~10% of time and can be fixed by using
persistant connections.

That also answers the question why current generation scripts work in acceptable
time.

BTW, may there be some problems with local file access on this setup?

Dave may test the same on wwwdevel if he copies
system/handler.php
system/page.php
system/page/news-and-events.php
from alexey.beta's webroot to wwwdevel, though I doubt the results will have any
significant difference...

> I can actually get coffee waiting for your site to load in my browser
> here, where there is almost zero delay loading the current site ...

OK, here is the answer: the box alexey.beta is upon is only capable of serving
static content. It chokes on even moderately dynamic one. Buy some real
hardware, it's not that pricey now.