Re: PgSQL MVCC vs MySQL InnoDB - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: PgSQL MVCC vs MySQL InnoDB
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/25/2004 2:42 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 01:15:33PM -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
>> On 10/25/2004 11:53 AM, nd02tsk@student.hig.se wrote:
>>
>> >Is this true?
>>
>> From a functional point of view, the two appear to do the same thing.
>
> Well, except for one difference.  InnoDB will allow you refer to
> tables not controlled by the InnoDB table handler, whereas we don't

That is a (mis)feature of MySQL itself, not of the InnoDB storage engine
if used in a mixed table type query by MySQL. InnoDB does not control
what is done in the "upper management" with the rows it returns from a
scan. This kind of abuse is as much InnoDB's fault as it is your fault
when your quite accurate work is merge-joined with marketing material
for decision making.

Jan