Re: Beta3 much slower than Beta2 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Beta3 much slower than Beta2
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Enrico Riedel wrote:
> To the setup: I use the Win32 version of PGRE SQL8. The table that I am
> working with has about 1.1M records in it and is indexed on several columns.
> By searching the indexed columns the DB used to be very fast. The data
> retrieval used to be more or less instantaneous. In Beta 3 it takes about 4
> seconds to retrieve the same amount of data. E.g. I searched for "EAG",
> which returns about 50 records. In B2 the retrieval time was less than 1s,
> in B3 it's about 3-4 seconds.

This is likely not a bug in beta3 as such; what has probably happened is
that the query planner is choosing a different query plan in beta3 than
was chosen in beta2. Without more information, it is difficult to say
exactly why a different plan is being chosen. Have you run ANALYZE
recently? If so, can you provide the schemas of the relevant tables, the
query that has changed in performance, and the EXPLAIN ANALYZE output
for that query against beta3?

-Neil