Re: Expand palloc/pg_malloc API - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Expand palloc/pg_malloc API
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 14.09.22 06:53, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Actually ... an even-more-terrifyingly-plausible misuse is that the
>> supplied oldsize is different from the actual previous allocation.
>> We should try to check that.  In MEMORY_CONTEXT_CHECKING builds
>> it should be possible to assert that oldsize == requested_size.
>> We don't have that data if !MEMORY_CONTEXT_CHECKING, but we could
>> at least assert that oldsize <= allocated chunk size.

> I'm not very familiar with MEMORY_CONTEXT_CHECKING.  Where would one get
> these values?

Hmm ... the individual allocators have that info, but mcxt.c doesn't
have access to it.  I guess we could invent an additional "method"
to return the requested size of a chunk, which is only available in
MEMORY_CONTEXT_CHECKING builds, or maybe in !MEMORY_CONTEXT_CHECKING
it returns the allocated size instead.