inquiry on readline functionality on psql client - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Carlo Florendo
Subject inquiry on readline functionality on psql client
Date
Re: inquiry on readline functionality on psql client  (John DeSoi <desoi@pgedit.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I appreciate very much the readline functionality on the psql client.
However, I'd like to ask if it is possible for the readline
functionality to gobble up even table names and field names:

For example, if have tables

`table1' with 3 fields `field1', 'field2', and `field3'

and

`table2' with 3 fields `field1', 'field2', and `field3',

Is it possible to do

select <tab>    # then, after tabbing I  select `table1'

then

select table1.<tab> #  then, after tabbing I select field2

Thus, I would have the complete statment

`select table1.field2 from table1'

Well, the above statement  is equivalent to

`select field1 from table1'

but I was wondering how the name globbing scenario I presented is
possible?  If it is not possible to do it with any configuration files,
could anyone point out at source code level what can be done since I'd
like to try playing around with this feature.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--