Pg_restore and dump -- General question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From salah jubeh
Subject Pg_restore and dump -- General question
Date
Re: Pg_restore and dump -- General question
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I am cleaning up a database and I have a list of unused tables, views and column and I want to drop these entities.

I have the following constraints:

  • The database is  live and thats mean I need to be able to revoke the changes as quick and possible.
  • I need to restore a certain set of the deprecated table,... But not the whole database
  • I need to automate this Job because the number of objects that I need to drop is over than 200

I want to use the cascade option when  dropping a table, column, and view, which will cause the deletion of foreign key constraints and views if you drop  tables and column,  and the deletion of other views if you drop a view ( am I right ....). I had a quick look on the pg_dumb and pg_restore and there is the t option which I think I can use for this task.However,  I am a little bit afraid of the approach that I am going to implement. For the following reasons.

For views, I do not think I will have a problem because the view is stateless. i.e the definition will not change.

Tables and column might have different scenarios such as

suppose that  table b  depends on a, and let us say that other  tables depends on b.

What will happen if

1. dropped table a
2. insert data on b and the other relations
3. restore table a and it's dependency (table b).

Is there is a general drop and restore strategy for my case. Also, what are your advices?

Regards