Re: How do I recover from>> pg_xlog/0000000000000000 (log - Mailing list pgsql-general

From pw
Subject Re: How do I recover from>> pg_xlog/0000000000000000 (log
Date
List pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:

>peter Willis <peterw@borstad.com> writes:
>

>>[postgres@web2 /]$ LOG:  database system shutdown was interrupted at
>>2004-10-18 11:41:55 PDT
>>LOG:  open of /web2-disk1/grip/database/pg_xlog/0000000000000000 (log
>>file 0, segment 0) failed: No such file or directory
>>LOG:  invalid primary checkpoint record
>>LOG:  open of /web2-disk1/grip/database/pg_xlog/0000000000000000 (log
>>file 0, segment 0) failed: No such file or directory
>>LOG:  invalid secondary checkpoint record
>>PANIC:  unable to locate a valid checkpoint record
>>LOG:  startup process (pid 2803) was terminated by signal 6
>>LOG:  aborting startup due to startup process failure
>>

>pg_resetxlog would probably get you to a point where you could start
>the server, but you should not have any great illusions about the
>consistency of your database afterward.
>
>How did you get into this state, anyway?  And what PG version is it?
>
>            regards, tom lane

The server was running with postgres on terabyte firewire 800 drive.
A tech decided to 'hot-plug'  another terabyte  drive into the system
without downing the server, umounting the first drive, and then remounting
both drives.
Since ohci drivers tend to enumerate and mount without using the
hardware ID of
the drive , the poor kernel got confused and decided that the new drive
was first in line....clang!

I had a database backup from the previous day. I just used that.

I set up a cron job to pg_dump and gzip every hour and
dump any backup gz files older than 1 week.
I love that 'date' command .. :)

date +%F-%H%M%S

Peter