Re: Scheduling Events? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From David Durst
Subject Re: Scheduling Events?
Date
Re: Scheduling Events?  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
Re: Scheduling Events?  ("David Durst" <ddurst@larubber.com>)
Re: Scheduling Events?  ("Matthew Nuzum" <cobalt@bearfruit.org>)
List pgsql-sql
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, David Durst wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway to schedule DB Events based on time?
>
> Yes! cron
>
>> So lets say I had a table w/ depreciation schedules in it,
>> I would like the DB to apply the formula and make the entries on the
>> END of every month.
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, David Durst wrote:
>
>> Is there anyway to schedule DB Events based on time?
>
> Yes! cron
>
>> So lets say I had a table w/ depreciation schedules in it,
>> I would like the DB to apply the formula and make the entries on the
>> END of every month.

Here is the basic problem w/ using CRON in an accounting situation.

I can't be sure that cron will always be up when the DB is up,
so lets say crond goes down for some random reason (User, System error,
Etc..)

And outside adjustment is made to lets say the equipment account and that
adjustment was made on the value of the equipment, BUT it hadn't been
depreciated because crond went down and no one notice.

Now I have a HUGE issue!

So I have to be sure that all entries/adjustments are made accurately in
the time frame they were meant to happen in.