Re: First set of OSDL Shared Mem scalability results, some - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: First set of OSDL Shared Mem scalability results, some
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/9/2004 7:20 AM, Kevin Brown wrote:

> Christopher Browne wrote:
>> Increasing the number of cache buffers _is_ likely to lead to some
>> slowdowns:
>>
>>  - Data that passes through the cache also passes through kernel
>>    cache, so it's recorded twice, and read twice...
>
> Even worse, memory that's used for the PG cache is memory that's not
> available to the kernel's page cache.  Even if the overall memory

Which underlines my previous statement, that a PG shared cache much
larger than the high-frequently accessed data portion of the DB is
counterproductive. Double buffering (kernel-disk-buffer plus shared
buffer) only makes sense for data that would otherwise cause excessive
memory copies in and out of the shared buffer. After that, in only
lowers the memory available for disk buffers.

Jan