Re: Odd, intermittent failure in contrib/pageinspect - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Odd, intermittent failure in contrib/pageinspect
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2021-Jan-18, Tom Lane wrote:
>> [ thinks for a bit... ]  Does the checkpointer pin pages it's writing
>> out?  I guess it'd have to ...

> It does, per SyncOneBuffer(), called from BufferSync(), called from
> CheckPointBuffers().

Right, then we don't need any strange theories about autovacuum,
just bad timing luck.  whelk does seem pretty slow, so it's not
much of a stretch to imagine that it's more susceptible to this
corner case than faster machines.

So, do we have any other tests that are invoking a manual vacuum
and assuming it won't skip any pages?  By this theory, they'd
all be failures waiting to happen.