Re: when to use NULL and when to NOT NULL DEFAULT '' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Garamond
Subject Re: when to use NULL and when to NOT NULL DEFAULT ''
Date
List pgsql-general
Btw, MySQL manual used to recommend (or still does?) defining all
columns as NOT NULL as much as possible, "because NULL is slow"... :-)

For me it's pretty obvious, if you are never going to allow the column
to have an "unknown value", then define it NOT NULL to let the database
guarantee that. Otherwise, nullable it is.

--
dave