Re: database constraints - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Garamond
Subject Re: database constraints
Date
List pgsql-general
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> This brings up an interesting idea.  What if it were possible to set
>> some kind of rules on DDL at database creation time?  For example, I'd
>> like to be able to throw an error if somebody tries to name an object
>> any of the SQL keywords.
>>
>> Other possible rules:
>>
>> * Every table must have a comment
>> * noCamelCaps
>> * downcase all entities
>> * underbar_separators_required
>> * abbrev_w_beg, nt_by_rmvng_vwls
>> * Your favorite algorithmic coding standard here
>
> Hmmm.. like a PostgreSQL syntax mode... in the PostgreSQL.conf:
>
> syntax_mode = lazy, standard, strict
>
> Where lazy is the current , standard would throw exceptions if you try
> to use a reserved word or use uppercase, and strict would do things like
> force a comment.

I'd much prefer if PostgreSQL had a generalized event or trigger system.
That way, one can install a trigger (or a plugin, or whatever) to trap
CREATE TABLE, CREATE VIEW, etc.

IMO, your proposed solution is too specific. There are too many coding
styles that people might want to enforce in their environment.

--
dave